Thursday, June 21, 2012

Taking back our name

It's an election year. It's pretty obvious and those who don't know...SURPRISE!  I'm not new to the political arena, I've followed it for a few years now, and especially since Obama took office because I didn't vote for him in the first place and I surely am not voting for him to be reelected, but I want to make sure that it was for the right reasons.

Has anyone else noticed that religion becomes a fiery subject in an election year? I realize that it's pretty prominent between but it seems like gas gets thrown on said fire. Also Christians usually get right in the middle of the crosshairs. Why? Because we put ourselves there.  

Oh yes, I went there. Last time I checked, it wasn't our place as a whole to get into politics. No, I don't think it's wrong to be a politician and be a Christian.  Do I think it's wrong to vote based on your beliefs? No, not really. The point though is, a lot of Christian groups are throwing their hats into the political arena and taking their focus off what being a true Christian is, to love and to serve. Christians don't need to hold news conferences to express our beliefs, to tell what we are for or against.  People are going to see who we are by the WAY we love, not by how we just talk about it. Words mean nothing when they're not backed up by action.  It's not our job to force our beliefs on others. Remember, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar!

It's time for Christians to take back our good name and stop letting people use it as a weapon against us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment